Welcome to Year 5
We are extremely excited to welcome you and your family to Year 5! This year is full of exciting learning opportunities for the children including new topics, a challenging and stimulating curriculum and a wealth of trips and visits. We are more than happy to answer any questions or to just have a chat at any point of the year so please do not hesitate to come and find us!
Meet the Team
- Miss Hand – Hello! I have been at The Palmer Academy for three years now and I am very excited to teach new topics in Year 5! I am originally from the West Midlands, I did a teaching degree in Derby and have been living in Reading for 3 years now (I love it!) Please do not hesitate to come to me with any problems or if you need some support – I am always happy to help!
- Mr Whitfield – Hi! I was so pleased to have the opportunity to teach your wonderful children again, this time for 5 days a week! This is my third year at the Palmer Academy and I have taught at several other schools in the Reading area. Before my teaching career I worked in the Banking and Publishing industries in London. I look forward to helping your children learn and make progress I their Palmer journey.
- Mrs Pitt – I am the teaching assistant in Miss Hand’s class. I have worked here for many years and have spent a lot of time in Year 6. I enjoy working with Miss Hand and this is our fourth year as a team. I love Maths and offer intervention during afternoons to help prepare your children for Year 6.
- Mrs Chandler - I am the teaching assistant in Mr Whitfield class. This year I will be taking your children out for Literacy interventions. I love History and Art and I look forward to the year ahead.
Routines & Notices
One project will be set each half term based on the topic the children are studying.
Please find time to read with your child as well as practice times tables every day. Discuss Times Table App.
Other activities you could do:
- Research topics your child is learning at school
- Simple comprehension questions whilst listening to your child read
Registration & Dismissal
It is expected that all children arrive between 8:40am – 8:50am and that they line up with their class when the bell goes at 8:50am.
Your child’s class will be dismissed at 3:20. Please allow plenty of space around the door and teacher when collecting your child.
If your child is being collected by another family member or friend please write a letter to your child’s teacher,
Pupils are not allowed to have mobile phones on their person during the school date. Phones should either be left at home or handed to the office at the start of the school day where they will be kept securely. It is the responsibility of your child to collect their phone at the end of the day.
Dates: trips, visits, class assemblies
We are currently waiting for confirmation from two venues for Autumn term trips. When this is confirmed a letter will be sent out to parents.
If you have a question or concern about your child please do not hesitate to speak to your child’s teacher.
- I have everything I need ready for school
- I know where to find things to help with my learning
- I can get on with my work straight away
- I will not bring things into the classroom that have happened at break or lunch
- I will be helpful and friendly to others
- I will listen to others ideas and opinions
- I will respect other people’s space and belongings
- I will use equipment safely
- I will act safely at all times e.g walking with our hands behind our back in the corridors
- I will make sure that I am sensible on the playground
- I will make sure that I am outside or in the lunch hall at break and lunch