House Captain - Job Description
As part of our Pupil Leadership offer, we believe that children need to experience duties and responsibilities that come with being a member of a community in order to help them prepare to play an active role as citizens in the wider world.
At The Palmer Academy the role of the House Captain is very important to the day to day organisation of our school. Our year 6 pupils are only allowed to apply for the position of House Captain, therefore it is considered to be very prestigious. They are more than just a title and badge and require dedication and commitment for an entire year. In a sense they are junior members of staff and are expected to take their roles seriously.
The positions not only allow the Year Six pupils to lead by example and demonstrate their responsibility, it also enables the younger children to learn from a good example.
Each child Year 6 is given the opportunity to apply for the job and their applications then go through a selection process.
Once their application has been successful, the roles are announced in a whole school celebration assembly.
Characteristics of House Captains
- Polite and well-mannered
- Organised and committed
- A confident speaker
- Well-presented in uniform and appearance
- Able to liaise and converse with staff, peers, and the wider community
- Desire to act responsibly and to be a role model for other students
- Be caring, mature and honest
We expect you:
- To be a positive role model and ambassador for the school, demonstrating Palmer Academy Values.
- To be enthusiastic and committed to the House System at The Palmer Academy.
- To be friendly and positive with all students, particularly within your House.
- To be part of the team of House Captains who work together to achieve success for all.
- Lead and support the children of your House in a variety of House Competitions and whole school events
- Work closely with the PE department and Year 6 staff, providing ideas and support for competitions and House related activities
- Collect, monitor and announce House Points
- Attend regular meetings with the PE department staff
- Inspire the children of your House
- Be an excellent role model in behaviour, attitude and dress at all times
- To support the dinner staff with the running of school lunch times
- To follow the House Captain timetable
- Showing visitors around the school
- Helping to set up the hall for assemblies