Our Curriculum Intent
Enquiring Minds for Inspiring Futures
At The Palmer Academy we are committed to inspiring the futures of the children we serve through a creative, inclusive and relevant curriculum which enables and encourages them to question the world around them and be curious learners. This results in our children understanding that ‘enquiring minds’ result in ‘inspiring futures’.
Confident, Determined and Respectful
We nurture and support our children and equip them with the skills, knowledge and attitudes they need to become confident, determined and respectful young adults who have exciting and ambitious aspirations for their futures.
Palmer children will achieve academic success through a curriculum and ethos which teaches them essential skills and traits for life, such as tenacity, resilience and determination. They leave our school well prepared for the next stages of their education and life in the modern world, with a rich understanding of the subjects they have been taught.
Skills, Knowledge and Values
We provide a range of opportunities for children to move learning from the short-term to their long-term memory, resulting in a deep and connected understanding of the subjects taught and the world around them. By the time learners leave The Palmer Academy, they have had many opportunities to learn and practise a range of skills, knowledge and values which prepare them to be citizens of the world.
All Embracing and Community Citizens
We respect and embrace all cultures, ethnicities, races, values and beliefs within our community, and celebrate the positive contribution and impact they have on the school. Working together in partnership leads to our children making connections between what we are learning in school and how it relates to the community and world around them.
Our Golden Threads
In delivering our intent we have three golden threads which weave our curriculum together and support the development and growth of our pupils.
Rich language and vocabulary
Our curriculum ensures that pupils gain/develop rich language and vocabulary so that:
- Pupils can successfully communicate their thoughts and feelings across all subjects.
- Pupils can articulate what they are learning about and why.
- Pupils’ vocabulary progresses each year to build upon previous knowledge.
- Pupils can communicate their ideas.
Social and Emotional Awareness
- Children are exposed to challenges in which they will grow, through perseverance and determination.
- They are encouraged to develop new talents and qualities unique to them and are exposed to situations where their thinking is challenged.
- Within our curriculum are values, skills and abilities we feel our children will require to take their place in the world. This will enable them to be compassionate and driven leaders of our future.
- Our curriculum ensures that every child has access to the influential people in history, ensuring that they leave our school with a balanced and well-rounded knowledge of the world, beyond memorising facts.
There are 6 Palmer Powers which encapsulate the explicit qualities, values, and principles we build in our pupils. Each half term celebrates a specific power.
Our Curriculum Overviews
To view the curriculum - Nursery Curriculum Overview
To view the curriculum - Reception Curriculum Overview
Click here to view our curriculum map - Year 1 Curriculum Overview
Click here to view our curriculum - Year 2 Curriculum Overview
Click here to view our curriculum - Year 3 Curriculum Overview
Click here to view our curriculum - Year 4 Curriculum Overview
Click here to view our curriculum - Year 5 Curriculum Overview
Click here to view our curriculum - Year 6 Curriculum Overview
11 Before 11
11 before 11 takes our children beyond the usual, to open opportunities in life and inspire them to move forward in their own life’s adventure. 11 before 11 is a set of promises that help our children to be in the driving seat in their own lives. They are a series of seminal experiences that we want every child to have experienced before they leave us to go to secondary school aged 11. We are ambitious for our children to have broad horizons in life and high aspirations for themselves. We want our children to be inspired and challenged so that each one can develop their unique potential to the full.